Much of what is now Kendall was purchased from the State of Florida in 1883 by the Florida Land and Mortgage Company. It was named for Henry John Broughton Kendall, a director of Florida Land and Mortgage who moved to the area in the 1900s to manage the company's land. As the land was not open to homesteading, development was slow well into the 20th century. A post office opened in 1914, and the first school opened in 1929. After the end of the land boom in 1926, some residents left. Two Seminole camps were in the Kendall area, and Seminoles continued to live there into the 1940s.
In August 1992, Kendall and the surrounding South Dade area were severely damaged by Hurricane Andrew. Many of the homes and businesses in the area were destroyed. In the subsequent years, the area was slowly rebuilt.
As of 2010, there were 31,899 households, and 8.7% were vacant. As of 2000, 33.4% households had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.0% were married couples living together, 13.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.0% were non-families. 24.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size was 3.14.
In 2000, the region's population was spread out with 23.3% under the age of 18, 8.6% from 18 to 24, 31.8% from 25 to 44, 24.9% from 45 to 64, and 11.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 88.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.4 males.
In 2000, the median income for a household in the area was $51,330, and the median income for a family was $61,241. Males had a median income of $42,875 versus $31,416 for females. The per capita income for the area was $27,914. About 5.7% of families and 8.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.0% of those under age 18 and 10.9% of those age 65 or over.
As of 2000, speakers of Spanish as a first language accounted for 52.46% of all residents, while English speakers comprised 40.38%, Portuguese was 1.49%, French at 1.12%, and French Creole made up 0.95% of the population.